Scott & Sarah Kennedy

Friday, April 23, 2010

Chalk and Cheese

I rarely have any good to say about customer service. In my experience people are a lot keener to sell to you than they are to help you when something goes wrong with their product. My recent Epson printer complaint is an excellent example. I complained about a piteously poor product, was offered a couple of measly cartridges if I bought another printer, and was told to call an 0800 number if I wanted to discuss the matter. Epson your customer service is pathetic. I have since replaced my Epson printer with a Brother HL-2140 laser printer thanks to Flybuys. The print quality is excellent, the speed is impressive, and there are no paper jams or misfeeds. So far so good.

What I really wanted to write about however is a recent experience I have had with excellent customer service. I want to hand a customer service trophy to Dell computers. In January of this year I bought a laptop for gaming university purposes. Having a small home and a young daughter who sleeps in the computer room, I needed a portable option. Since we don't own a TV, we also use it to watch movies. However, ever since I got it, I've noticed that it intermittently struggles to play a number of our DVDs. So I decided to write to customer service and ask if something could be done. Enter Dell's excellent customer service. The person I emailed asked if I could do a couple of checks myself and email the results, which I did. Then he organised for a technician to come out to our place in Parau. The technician rang the next working day and arranged to come out at a suitable time. When he arrived he immediately started dismantling the laptop. I had been a little worried that he would check whether various DVDs worked on it. Since it was an intermittent issue I was dreading what many of us technophobes dread:- the ol’ phantom computer problem, that disappears when a competent geek comes along, and reappears as soon as they have departed. But he didn't muck around with checking DVDs. He immediately replaced the drive. After briefly checking it, he left, and asked us to call if we have any problems.

I've been very pleased with my Dell laptop so far. It is a fantastic machine. But I'm twice as happy now, knowing the customer service that backs it up. I've heard of people having to send machines away for weeks on end while they get tested and repaired. I have never heard of technicians being sent to a home to fix a machine on site. So if you are looking for a laptop, may I recommend a Dell. Next time I'm in the market, I'll be certainly looking at one.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Hi!Scott. Long time no see. I am happy you are father now. Your daughter is so cute! I also bought new laptop. I need new printer now. I hope I will buy Epson or Canon.

    Keep in touch.

    By Anonymous Tomoko, at 6:52 PM, April 25, 2010  

  • thats pretty awesome service, you don't expect service of that quality in new zealand these days

    By Blogger Jim, at 9:32 AM, April 29, 2010  

  • Scotty!! I was just rifling through my old blog and deleting incriminatingly personal posts, and I saw your name on a comment... this sounds like an insensitively jerk-ish thing to say, but I forgot about you!

    Good to see you've still got me on your list of blogs, hehe!

    Random times :)

    Hey on the Epson issue - its not too bad that they offered you free cartridges ;) They usually cost more than a whole printer!! Lol

    (And hey - you've got a whole family now! exciting :) )

    By Blogger Michelle, at 9:18 PM, July 27, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home